Wednesday, August 20, 2014

Alaska and the Yukon - Juneau, AK

July 24
Juneau, AK

Today we are visiting Juneau which is the state capital of Alaska.  The population of Juneau is just over 31,000, but in area it is the second largest city in the United States; it is larger than Rhode Island.  Another unusual thing about Juneau, even though it is the state capital, you can only get there by air or water, there are no direct roads into the city.

I woke up this morning and felt horrible so there was no way we were going on our excursion today, now I know what Val was going through a few days ago.  It was very disappointing as we were going to hike to the Mendenhall Glacier and then go whale watching, but I guess that will have to wait until another trip.  Val canceled the excursion and I stayed in bed most of the morning.  I finally decided to get up and Val wanted to walk around Juneau a bit so I decided I would give it a try.  It was overcast, but not very cold outside and it felt good to get out in the fresh air.  There were two other ships in port, but it wasn’t too crowded as we walked around.  We looked in various shops as we wandered around, but I soon ran out of gas and returned to the ship while Val continued on her own.

Downtown Juneau.
These are some pictures of downtown Juneau I took from the ship.


We were docked next to a Celebrity ship.
There was a Norwegian Cruise Line ship docked across the bay.

The day ends as we leave Juneau.
Val returned shortly and even though I wasn’t really hungry, we went up and got some lunch in the Lido.  We spent the afternoon hanging around the cabin with me mostly sleeping.  I didn’t feel like going to the dining room so we had room service bring us our dinner.  The end to a not so great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment