Friday, June 27, 2014

California to Chicago and Michigan by Rail - Back to Sturgis

The drive back to Sturgis was pretty short and we arrived early enough to have lunch in Sturgis, and then Val and I borrowed Judy’s car to drive out to see my Uncle Bob again.  My cousins Sherie and Laurie were visiting so it gave me a chance to catch up with them.   We left Uncle Bob's to return to Judy's, but first I wanted to make a short side trip to see one of my fondest memories from my childhood in Michigan.  My grandparents on my dad's side owned a farm with a river running through it called Fawn River.  They had made a picnic area where we had many suppers, reunions and picnics with family and friends.  We swam in the river, fished and it was just a really nice spot.  The farm has long since been sold, but the picnic spot was still there although someone had built a house there now, but it still looked just as idyllic as I remembered it.

Looking across Fawn River at what used to be a picnic area owned by my grandparents.

Looking the other way down Fawn River.
After returning the car to Judy we all went out to a Mexican restaurant for dinner and then she drove us to our hotel.

Sunday we spent the day at Judy’s doing laundry and helping her take care of a few things.  Then it was back to the hotel for our final night in Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment