Saturday, February 6, 2016

Road Trip to Houston: Houston??

As part of my job, when I was working, I made many trips to Houston.  It wasn't my favorite place mainly because it seems like I always went there when it was very hot and very humid.  When I retired I made a list of places I wanted to see and things I wanted to do and visiting Houston was not one of them, so why are we traveling to Houston?

Last fall Val had some medical issues which have been resolved and she is healthy now.  However there are some possible long term issues which might arise in the future as a result of her diagnosis, so she wanted to learn as much about it as possible.  It turns out one of the leading experts in the country is at MD Anderson Hospital in Houston so she made an appointment and we we're on our way to Houston.

As I said, Houston was not on my list of places I wanted to go in retirement, but Big Bend National Park in Texas was, so I asked Val if she wanted to turn this doctor's visit into a road trip and she was all for it.  So on our way to Houston we will be visiting Carlsbad Caverns in New Mexico and San Antonio, Austin and the Texas Hill country before we get to Houston.  In Houston we hope to have time to visit the Johnson Space Center before we head back west.  On our trip home we will be spending two full days in Big Bend National Park and then since Las Vegas is on the way, we will spend a few days there to end our trip.

We aren't sure what the weather will be like since it is the middle of winter, but we're hoping we will be far enough south to avoid the really cold weather.  We are also grateful we will be avoiding the Houston humidity (I hope).  I will keep up the blog as we go for as long as possible, but as soon as we start taking pictures and adding them to the blog, it becomes more difficult so I expect much of it will be posted when we get home.

No comments:

Post a Comment