Sunday, March 25, 2012

Retirement Trip Prelude

This week, Val finally revealed where we are going on my surprise retirement trip - we are going to Denver on the train!  Denver is a place I have driven through many times, but have never stopped so I am looking forward to seeing the area.

We will catch the Amtrak California Zephyr in Davis Tuesday morning and after traveling through the Sierras and the Rockies we will be in Denver Wednesday evening.  We will spend four days in Denver and then return to Davis on the California Zephyr stopping over in Reno for a couple of days.  While in Denver we plan on exploring the city, renting a car and driving to Rocky Mountain National Park, and our friends John and Greg from Colorado Springs will be coming up one day to visit with us.  

Val has booked a bedroom compartment on the train for us so we should be traveling in comfort.  It should be a great trip, particularly our trip through the mountains in the snow.  I will update this with (hopefully) some pictures whenever we have a Wi-Fi connection.

This is Val chiming in...  It's the eve of our train journey to Colorado and I have that feeling that I always get before we go on a trip.  It's a combination of excitement, anticipation and wanderlust that I can feel physically, and also emotionally.  You'd think after all these years of traveling that that feeling would be diluted by experience and time, but I still feel it every time we get ready to go somewhere.  It's a great feeling that signals a new adventure is ahead.

No comments:

Post a Comment